Attempted Murder Attorney In Los Angeles
Attempting to commit a crime is itself a crime. Attempt is the crime of (1) intending to commit a crime and (2) taking significant but ultimately ineffective steps toward committing that crime.
Attempt is also referred to as one of the "inchoate" (meaning incomplete crimes) crimes along with solicitation and
conspiracy. These inchoate crimes often carry harsh penalties and are based on the potential to commit a crime. You will need a
Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer immediately.
Attempt law is designed to punish a person who tries to commit a crime (e.g., attempted murder, attempted
rape, and attempted
robbery) but fails to actually complete the crime. The punishment for
attempt depends on the seriousness of the crime attempted. It is usually punished by a sentence equal to one-half of the completed crime.
To be convicted of attempted murder, the prosecution must prove two things:
- Specific intent to commit the crime, and
- A direct but ineffective step done towards its commission.
Attempted Murder is a very serious criminal offense.
Experienced Los Angeles Attempted Murder Defense Attorney
The punishment for the crime of attempt is a lesser punishment than for the completed crime. In California, every person who attempts to commit a crime, but fails, or is prevented or intercepted in its preparation, is generally punishable by one-half the term of imprisonment that applies to a conviction for the attempted crime. However, there are exceptions, including:
- Willful, deliberate, and premeditated murder attempts are punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for life with the possibility of parole.
- Attempts to commit crimes for which the maximum sentence is life imprisonment or death are punishable in state prison for five, seven, or nine years.
- Attempts to commit misdemeanors are punishable in county jail by a term not exceeding one-half the term of imprisonment prescribed upon a conviction of the offense attempted.
It is possible to be charged for a crime even if you did not actually commit the crime. The penalties can be harsh! Check out the experience and track record of any criminal defense attorney you consider hiring. Choosing the right attorney could mean the difference between freedom and incarceration. We have handled hundreds and hundreds of serious criminal matters in and around Los Angeles County.
For a free and absolutely confidential consultation, contact Los Angeles attempted murder lawyerat our office today.