Los Angeles Criminal Defense Firm
Can Past Convictions be Removed from my Criminal Record?

Can Past Convictions be Removed from my Criminal Record?

If you have a criminal record, you know that past mistakes can haunt your future. Criminal convictions may make it difficult for you to find employment or apply for things like school, credit, or home loans. It can be damaging to your reputation and produce barriers everywhere you turn. You know firsthand how frustrating this can be, but did you know that there are ways to clean up your record?

Thankfully, the criminal justice system recognizes that people with past convictions deserve an opportunity for a fresh start. A past mistake that you have learned from should not have the power to affect your entire future. At Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners, we can help individuals with past convictions clean up their criminal records so they can move forward with greater opportunities.

What Are my Options for Cleaning Up my Record?

There are a few different ways that Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners can assist clients in this matter. The following are four common methods that we can use to clean up criminal records:

Expungement in California

Some felonies and most misdemeanors may be eligible for expungement, which effectively sets aside a previous criminal conviction. Although prosecution, arrest, and conviction records cannot be fully eliminated, you will not have to admit that you have been convicted of a crime on job applications.

Reducing Felonies to Misdemeanors

Since the passage of California Proposition 47, individuals once convicted of a non-violent or non-serious felony offense may be eligible for resentencing. “Wobblers,” or crimes that can be punished as either a misdemeanor or felony, may be able to be reduced to the less serious crime.

Factual Innocence Motion

You may be able to have your record of a wrongful arrest sealed and subsequently destroyed if you can prove that there was no reasonable cause to believe that you actually committed the crime you were accused of. The best time to file a factual innocence motion is two years after an arrest or accusatory pleading.

Probation Modification / Termination

You may be eligible to have the terms of your probation changed or terminated early. Individuals are typically eligible for early termination once they have completed two-thirds to three-fourths of their sentence and met all other requirements. Probation modification or termination can be the first step toward an expungement.

Get Help Cleaning Up Your Criminal Record

Are you ready to free yourself of the past and clean up your criminal record? Take the first step by calling Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners. With over 70 years of combined experience in criminal defense, you can be confident in our ability to protect your rights and safeguard your future.

For more information on how the Los Angeles criminal defense lawyers at Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners can help, please call today to schedule your free consultation.


Ready To Speak With An Attorney?

Contact Our Office Today!
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.