Los Angeles Sex Crime Attorney
Accused or Investigated for a Sex Crime?
Being accused of a sex crime is a serious matter. If you are being investigated
for or have been charged with a sex crime, call the Los Angeles criminal
defense lawyers at Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners immediately to
discuss your legal options. Do not speak to anyone from law enforcement
until you have consulted with an attorney from our office. You have rights;
protect them! The key to a successful outcome in sex cases is hiring the
right attorney during the criminal investigation and prior to formal charges
being filed; and conducting a prompt and complete investigation in order
to develop and prepare a strategic defense.
Some examples of California sex crimes include:
“Consent” Defined Under California Law
In sex crime cases where consent is an issue, consent is defined to mean
"positive cooperation in act or attitude pursuant to an exercise
of free will." California Penal Code section 261.6. Consent does
not include any of the following factors:
- The accused used a condom or other birth control device;
- The victim complied with the act to avoid possible injury or death;
- The victim didn't resist the attack; or
- The accused and the victim are or had been dating.
Internet Sex Crimes
Online sex crimes are a growing area of concern for prosecutors. These
crimes often involve prostitution, indecent exposure & lewd conduct,
child pornography, and solicitation of minors for child abuse. An internet
offender can be prosecuted under state and federal law.
Megan’s Law & Sex Offender Registration
Under California's Megan's Law, the names of convicted sex offenders
can be viewed on the California website
www.meganslaw.ca.gov. This allows the public to view information on sex offenders required
to register with local law enforcement. However, approximately 25% of
registered sex offenders are excluded from this public disclosure by law,
based on the type of sex crime for which the person is required to register.
Sex Crime Defense Lawyer in Los Angeles
Being convicted of a sex crime is a life changer. The penalties for sex
crime offenses are harsh and usually come with long prison sentences as
well as mandatory lifetime sex registration. Many sex cases are prosecuted
even though there is a lack of physical evidence coupled with poor quality
law enforcement investigations. In fact, many sex crime cases in Los Angeles
are prosecuted on the sole basis of the victim’s testimony such
that the case is essentially a she said - he said situation.
Contact the attorneys at Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners to discuss
your legal situation. With over 70 years of combined legal experience,
we can help you and aggressively defend you against sex crime charges.
Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners can help by:
- Arranging for bail, bail reduction, or release without bail.
- Understanding the possible penalties and likely outcome.
- Hiring an investigator to interview witnesses and gather evidence.
- Arranging for a lie detector test.
- Negotiating with the prosecution for a reduction of the charges.
- Working to eliminate the requirement of lifetime sex offender registration.
- Presenting the best legal defense for your case.
- Vigorously challenging every aspect of the prosecution's case.
- Seeking alternative sentencing programs such as house arrest (electric
monitoring), residential treatment, counseling and informal probation.
For focused, aggressive representation, contact a Los Angeles sex crime attorney.