Weapons Attorney In Los Angeles
Guns, Firearms, Concealed Weapons
Weapons charges are serious and come with jail time. If you have been charged with weapons offenses you need a Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer to help prepare your defense.
We represent people charged with the following gun and other weapons offenses:
- Possessing a gun (concealed, loaded or otherwise with no permit)
- Possessing a firearm by an ex-felon (concealed, loaded or otherwise with no permit)
- Possessing an assault weapon
- Possessing a weapon (illegal weapons include knives, daggers, brass knuckles, nunchucks and other martial arts weapons)
- Brandishing a firearm (displaying or waving around a firearm)
- Discharging a firearm
- Selling a firearm (unlawful sale)
- Using a gun in committing a crime (assault, robbery, drug offenses)
Weapons are not just guns. A deadly weapon is defined very broadly and includes weapons listed above plus many more items including box cutters, tear gas, keys, a car or your own fist if used to harm someone.
Los Angeles Weapons Lawyer
Gun/weapon charges are aggressively prosecuted. Most carry the prospect of jail time (or state prison), expensive fines, and a criminal record that may make it difficult to obtain employment and housing.
In general, a weapons offense is a felony under California law, but possession can be charged as a misdemeanor in some cases. The penalties will vary depending on a number of circumstances:
- The type of weapon involved
- What was being done with it
- If it was loaded and/or concealed
- The individual's criminal record, drug record or drug use at the time of arrest
- Any other factors that might affect the sentence
For a misdemeanor (such as carrying a concealed weapon with no prior convictions), the maximum allowable sentence is a fine and up to one year in county jail. Felony weapons offense prison sentences can be anywhere from 4 to 12 years. If you've been arrested and charged with a weapons offense in the Los Angeles area, you need an experienced weapons attorney with a successful track record.
Stephen G. Rodriquez & Associates will focus on getting you the most favorable disposition using a variety of proven techniques and defenses, including:
- Making all necessary court motions including "motions to suppress evidence"
- Interviewing all witnesses connected to your case
- Gathering evidence in support of your defenses
- Seeking a reduction of the charges
- Negotiating a favorable plea (if necessary)
- Preparing for trial
- Seeking alternative sentencing such as house arrest/electronic monitoring, work furlough, weekends in jail, community service
Contact a Los Angeles weapons attorney in our office immediately if you are facing weapons charges. We'll arrange for a free consultation to discuss the specific facts of your case.