Los Angeles Sex Crime Attorney
Accused of a sex crime? Involve a criminal defense lawyer.
Being accused of a sex crime is a serious matter. If you are being investigated for or have been charged with a sex crime, call a Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer at Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners immediately to discuss your legal options. Do not speak to anyone from law enforcement until you have consulted with an attorney from our office. You have rights; protect them! Sex crimes are criminal offenses of a sexual nature, including forced, deviant or otherwise illegal sex acts.
Some examples of California sex crimes include:
If a person is accused of a sex offense and is proven guilty, that person can be convicted of a felony offense. The penalties for sex crimes can range anywhere from informal probation, formal probation, fines, treatment programs, sex registration for life, county jail and even state prison. In addition, the accused or convicted person faces a lasting social stigma and often loses the ability to obtain housing or gainful employment.
"Consent" Defined Under California Law
In sex crime cases where consent is an issue, consent is defined to mean "positive cooperation in act or attitude pursuant to an exercise of free will." California Penal Code section 261.6. Consent does not include any of the following factors:
- The accused used a condom or other birth control device;
- The victim complied with the act to avoid possible injury or death;
- The victim didn't resist the attack; or
- The accused and the victim are or had been dating.
Internet Sex Crimes
Online sex crimes are a growing area of sex offenses. These crimes often involve children and may include disseminating indecent materials to minors via chat rooms, child pornography and endangering the welfare of a child by advertising child prostitutes. Due to these offenses crossing state lines via the Internet, a convicted person could face a tough combination of state and federal penalties.
Megan's Law & Sex Registration
Under California's Megan's Law, the names of convicted sex offenders can be viewed on the California website www.meganslaw.ca.gov. This allows the public to view information on sex offenders required to register with local law enforcement. However, approximately 25% of registered sex offenders are excluded from this public disclosure by law, based on the type of sex crime for which the person is required to register.
Sex Crime Defense Lawyer in Los Angeles
There are a number of possible defenses available to use in a California sex crime case, such as: proven consent, insufficient evidence, no witness, mistaken identity or lack of physical evidence (e.g., DNA). If you have been accused of a sex crime, hiring the right criminal defense attorney is absolutely critical for the best outcome to your case. With over 70 years of experience, we can help defend you against these types of charges.
Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners can help by:
- Arranging for bail, bail reduction, or release without bail.
- Understanding the possible penalties and likely outcome.
- Hiring an investigator to interview witnesses and gather evidence.
- Arranging for a lie detector test.
- Negotiating with the prosecution for a reduction of the charges.
- Working to eliminate the requirement of sex offender registration.
- Presenting the best legal defense for your case.
- Vigorously challenging every aspect of the prosecution's case.
- Seeking alternative sentencing programs such as house arrest (electric monitoring), residential treatment, counseling and informal probation.
For focused, aggressive representation, contact a Los Angeles sex crime attorney.