Los Angeles Sex Crime Attorney
Accused of a sex crime?
Being accused of a sex crime is a serious matter. If you are being investigated for, or charged with a sex crime, contact a knowledgeable Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer at Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners immediately to discuss your legal options. Do not speak to anyone from law enforcement until you have consulted with an attorney from our office. You have rights; protect them!
Sex crimes cover many behaviors, all with harsh consequences. In California, sex crimes include the following behaviors by and among adults:
If a person is accused of a sex offense and is proven guilty, that person can be convicted of a felony and face serious penalties. The penalties for sex crimes can range anywhere from informal probation, formal probation, fines, treatment programs, sex registration for life, county jail and even state prison. In addition, the accused or convicted person faces a lasting social stigma and often loses the ability to obtain housing or gainful employments.
In sex cases where consent is an issue, consent is defined to mean "positive cooperation in act or attitude pursuant to an exercise of free will." California Penal Code section 261.6. Consent does not include any of the following factors:
- The accused used a condom or other birth control device
- The victim complied with the act to avoid possible injury or death
- The victim didn't resist the attack
- The accused and the victim are or had been dating.
Internet Sex Crimes
Online sex crimes are a growing area of sex offenses. These crimes mainly involve children and may include disseminating indecent materials to minors via chat rooms, child pornography and endangering the welfare of a child by advertising child prostitutes. Due to these offenses crossing state lines via the Internet, a convicted person could face a tough combination of state and federal penalties.
Megan's Law & Sex Registration
Under California's Megan's Law, the names of convicted sex offenders can be viewed on the California website www.meganslaw.ca.gov. This allows the public to view information on sex offenders required to register with local law enforcement. However, approximately 25% of registered sex offenders are excluded from this public disclosure by law, based on the type of sex crime for which the person is required to register.
As you can see, sex offenses are serious, complex crimes that require complex defenses. There are a number of possible defenses available to use in a California sex crime, including:
- Proven consent
- Insufficient evidence
- No witness
- Mistaken identity
- Lack of physical evidence (e.g., DNA).
Sex Crime Lawyer in Los Angeles
If you have been accused of a sex crime, hiring the right criminal defense attorney is absolutely critical for the best outcome to your case...and your life. At our firm, with over 70 years of combined experience, we can help defend you against these types of charges. Some ways we can help include:
- Arranging for bail, bail reduction, or for a OR release -being released on your promise to return and appear in court
- Understanding the possible penalties and likely outcome of the case
- Hiring an investigator to interview witnesses and gather evidence favorable to your case
- Arranging for a lie detector test
- Negotiating with the prosecution for a reduction of the charges and sentencing, including elimination of sex registration
- Presenting the best legal defense for your case and vigorously challenging the prosecution to prove their case
- Seeking alternative sentencing programs such as house arrest (electric monitoring), residential treatment, counseling and informal probation.
For focused and aggressive representation, contact a Los Angeles sex crime attorney
at Stephen G. Rodriguez & Partners.